The Pratt County Hospital was built as the result of the vision and commitment of individuals, the Pratt County Commissioners, the Pratt County Hospital Board of Trustees and physicians. The original idea for a city hospital dates back to 1930. Following World War II, building materials were almost unavailable and a significant increase in the projected costs changed the focus from a city hospital to a county hospital.
April 22, 1947—The county hospital proposition carried.
Nov. 15, 1948—Ground breaking ceremony.
Aug. 6, 1950—Pratt County Hospital was dedicated. The final cost of the 64-bed hospital was $925,000.
Sept. 11, 1950—The first patient was admitted.
1950 through 1988—Managed by Sisters of St. Joseph of Wichita, Kansas.
1988 to present—Managed by PRMC, Inc.
Additions to the Building
Oct. 8, 1961—A three-story wing of the hospital, containing all private rooms, was dedicated increasing hospital’s capacity to 86 beds.
March 20, 1978—Name of the hospital changed to Pratt Regional Medical Center to reflect the level of care provided and the services offered.
1981—$7 million expansion and remodeling project was completed to provide for additional services and to update the facility to OSHA, JCAHO and Kansas Department of Health & Environment standards.
Aug. 8, 1994—First physician office opened at the South Central Medical Clinic.
Jan. 26, 1999—Phase I of a construction project began with new parking lots north of the PRMC building.
Sept. 11, 2000—Pratt Regional Medical Complex, a four-story, 65,000 square foot building, was dedicated during a ceremony honoring the 50th anniversary of the first admission.
History of PRMC Services and Milestones
Since 1950, PRMC has grown and increased the number of services to meet the primary and secondary health care needs of the public. Please make your selection from our current list of services in the column on the left.
PRMC Services and Milestones: 1950—present
Physical therapy added.
Coronary Care Unit added.
Social Services added.
Respiratory Care Services added.
Nuclear Medicine services added.
Gifts and Bequests Committee formed to encourage memorial and estate gifts.
Pastoral Care Department added.
Cardiopulmonary services were expanded with echocardiograms and holter monitoring.
Life WATCH helicopter service added.
Rooming-in started in the obstetrical unit.
Eight-bed Special Care Unit opened.
Ambulatory Surgery and Outpatient Department was initiated.
The Unit Dose Medication System started.
Birthing room opened.
Lifeline Program established by the Pilot Club of Pratt with PRMC receiving the call.
Home Health opened.
Skilled Nursing Unit opened.
Cataract surgery was offered.
PRMC acquired a CAT Scanner.
PRMC became the first hospital in Kansas to achieve the computer capability to transmit medical record abstracts via a telephone modem to the Kansas Health Data Systems in Topeka.
Outpatient oncology and chemotherapy services added.
A 45' by 45' helipad, meeting Federal Aviation Agency guidelines was purchased.
PRMC acquired mobile MRI services.
Laboratory services were expanded to the Pratt Medical Plaza.
Lithotripsy services were implemented as an alternative to surgery for kidney stones.
Physical Therapy Department added the Lido Active Multi-Joint Isokinetic System.
Heartland Hearing Services, audiology and hearing aid services were added.
PRMC and visionary community members form a separate 501 (c) 3 organization called the Pratt Health Care Services Foundation (PHCSF) “to facilitate the provision of quality health care services and ensure future services. The Foundation promotes and funds charitable, educational and scientific purposes deemed to be in the public interest for the provision of health care.” The PHCSF and the Gifts and Bequests Committee work together to encourage charitable gifts to PRMC.
Laparoscopic cholecystectomy was introduced.
Computer enhanced video endoscopy was added
24-hour, in-house coverage of the Emergency Room was achieved.
Maternity/Newborn Hotline was started.
PRMC was selected to be a member of VHA, Inc.
Pratt Rural Health Clinic opened.
Pulmonary medicine was added.
New Beginnings opened.
Addition of two internists, one family practice physician and an orthopedic surgeon.
Phase I of the new Computer Program and Systems, Inc. (CPSI), computer system went live (financial).
MRI Services updated.
Phase II of CPSI was operational (order entry).
Major redecorating effort was underway.
Color flow doppler ultrasound equipment was placed in use.
Well-Mother/Well-Baby Clinic introduced.
Kinsley Rural Health Clinic opened.
Urologist joined the medical staff.
Home Health Agency re-opened.
Schedule coordinators were hired.
Physical therapy department moved to Suite D in the South Central Medical Clinic.
Pratt Regional Living Center became a department of the medical center.
Cat Scanner replaced with CT ProSpeed.
PRMC Web Site was active and two-way, interactive video teleconferencing was installed.
Obstetrical services moved to the Family Birth Suites.
PRMC purchased South Central Orthopedic Clinic.
Southern Plains Health Network between Comanche County Hospital and PRMC opened.
E-mail and Internet access.
Cardiac Rehabilitation added.
Speech-Language Pathology added.
Occupational Therapy added.
Pratt Dialysis Center opened.
South Central Occupational Health opened.
Pulmonary Rehabilitation and the Sleep Medicine Clinic opened.
PRMC Radiology Department staff began using the Legacy D state- radiography and digital fluoroscopy system.
Family Birth Suites opened.
The Surgicenter became a department of PRMC.
Newborn hearing screening began.
Pratt Kid`s Care opened.
X-Press Chart System was installed in the Emergency Room.
Millennium MG Scalable Nuclear Imaging System was installed.
Second video endoscopy suite was added.
Kiowa District Hospital and Medicine Lodge Memorial Hospital became members of the Southern Plains Health Network
Voice Recognition transcription was initiated in Radiology.
Automated transcription was made available to all physicians.
Pratt Health Care Services Foundation changes its name to Pratt Health Foundation and its mission to, “promote health and provide financial support for PRMC.”
South Central Kansas Heartburn Center added
PRMC awarded three-year term of accreditation in mammography by the American College of Radiology
New Siemens 3000 Nova equipment installed expanding PRMC capabilities to include mammography screening, bilateral diagnostic, unilateral diagnostic, breast sonography, and additional follow-up.
Capital Campaign funds purchase of Teleradiology equipment
Mobile P.E.T. Scan added
Farmer clinics added
PHF Capital Campaign purchases 16 slice CT Scanner. The Gilham family funds renovations to the ER.
PRMC purchased a 16-slice CT scanner, two Ultrasound machines, and a Bedside Charting system with funds generated through the Pratt Health Foundation's Capital Campaign.
Added two rooms to the ER Department and moved the waiting area to the front entrance.
In December, PRMC and members of the medical community opened the Pratt Open MRI on the first floor of the Pratt Regional Medical Complex.
PRMC contracted with United Radiology of Salina to provide radiology coverage for PRMC.
In November, PRMC contracted with Medical Lodges to consult on adding skilled services to Pratt Regional Living Center. A remodel, name change and additional services are being planned. In April, 2007 Pratt Regional Living Center became Pratt Rehabilitation and Residence Center to reflect the skilled services now available. PRMC contracted with Key Rehab to provide some of the skilled professionals and PRMC staff is also providing Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy and Speech therapy to patients at PRRC.
In December, construction on the front entrance began. Redesigning the guest services area to be more customer friendly was the main objective.
Stanion family funds renovations to the front entrance.
In January, remodel of the two new outpatient surgical suites was complete. The new surgical suites are on the third floor of the hospital, where the old nursery and OB unit was located.
Also in January, the Gifts and Bequests committee was assimilated by the Pratt Health Foundation which will maintain the name as a Christmas memorial gift program and the designation for undesignated funds for PRMC technical medical equipment purchases.
During April, Pratt Regional Living Center receives Medicare Certification and name changes to Pratt Rehabilitation and Residence Center
In July, the Pratt Health Foundation was awarded Community Service Tax Credits for 2007 and 2008. The tax credits amount to $155,000 which will net PRMC $221,000. All of this money will be used to purchase a Patient Lift system and Bariatric beds.
In September/October 2007, new C-arm was purchased for radiology.
Pratt Health Foundation purchases Electronic Document System and a new C-Arm.
Pratt Health Foundation provides resources for PRMC Wireless Network Upgrade. PHF purchases CPSI Electronic Record System. PHF obtains grant to purchase Broslow Kits (resuscitation kits tailored for children).